26 Apr 2023

Improving and re-nutrifying my clay based soil with PeatFree mulches



Peat based composts will be banned for domestic markets from 2027 although trade growers can use peat based products until 2030, if they so wish. This is good news for peat bogs and the wildlife they support but would have been even better if UK's government had kept to their original deadline of banning peat products from 2024. Thankfully, there is now quite a range of good peat-free composts available to buy and I've been privileged to use several of them. A few years ago, peat-free composts were no contest for more traditional peat based ones but a lot of research has gone into improving peat-free and I've found they're now pretty good.  

Some of the top names to look out for are Melcourt/Sylvagrow, Dalefoot, RocketGro - all of which I've used in my own gardens and in client gardens.  Two more that I found this year are from Newleaf composts (in Northern Ireland) and Brontë. I smiled at the name when chatting to one of the founders of Brontë ... were they from Yorkshire, I wondered? No, they're both from Lancashire - Colne and Darwen, both of which I've visited - and adopted the Brontë name due to their relative proximity to Haworth, the Brontë family's historic home village. Memorable. 

But I digress.

Mulching ...

Earlier this year I used SylvaGrow Farmyard soil improver as a mulch over the veg patch beds; last year I used home made compost from my Hotbin composter and in the years before, Dalefoot Lakeland Gold.  All are 100% peat free and I can already see the positive difference these additions have made to my soil.  

A word of caution: I look out for 100% peat free products as it's important not to fall for 'peat reduced' or 'organic' composts. Products are not guaranteed peat free unless specifically stated!

Mulching is not something I bothered with in the very early veg patch days as we used raised beds over the hard clay soil; those early raised beds have mostly been removed now in favour of maximising space and planting straight into improved soil. 

Which is where mulching comes in ... vegetables are hungry plants and it makes a huge difference to keep the soil healthy by boosting the soil's eco-system by adding living organisms and micronutrients.  Good natural mulches will do that so now I consider it an essential task in spring and late autumn, for both my gardens and for clients. 

Peat-free products I've used for mulching and seed sowing ...

The Melcourt SylvaGrow Farmyard is a new one to me, although certainly not new on the market. I'm particularly interested in seeing how it performs over the year as the company claims the product will help with water retention (remember I have to water by hand), with soil structure and will renutrify the soil.  Plus, being made from anaerobic digestate rather than the more traditional straw and horse poo, there should be no herbicides ruining my crops. Sounds like a winner to me! I'm also a big fan of the Melcourt Sylvagrow products just because they're high quality. 

Somerset-based RocketGro is another company whose products I've embraced this season. I intend to use their Magic Mulch soil improver in the herbaceous borders of my flower garden as well as around my fruit trees ... especially the plum trees. I think it will help enormously. Their composts are all 100% organic and peat free, made with a clever process inspired by the way cows digest their food.  You had me at cow. I love it.

Dalefoot composts are an old favourite that I've used where possible for many years.  They have a range of composts tailored to different uses, all of which are made to an old 'recipe' using bracken from the Cumbrian hills mixed with sheep's wool from their farm. The company is also actively involved in restoration of peatland bogs; read more about this on their website via this link: Saving Peat Bogs

Seed sowing ...

This year I was given a bag of  RocketGro's Peat Free Seed and Cutting compost which I've been using for most of my seed sowing. It feels like beautiful stuff but, to keep things fair, I've sown half my seeds into Dalefoot Seed and Cuttings compost to see if the two composts produce equal results.  

Reducing plastic ...

From pots to potted ...
© Images from Wool Pots

While writing about seed sowing, I should also mention Wool Pots as I'm using these for my larger seeds like squash, pumpkins and courgettes.  I spotted these at the Garden Press Event in February this year and was allowed to take a sample away with me. 

The company was founded when the owners leapt into action to think up an alternative option to the plastic plant pots that would otherwise end up in landfill; they created knitted tubes of unwashed raw British sheep wool from unwanted excess that would otherwise have been burnt.   

The website gives several very logical (to my mind) reasons to use their wool pots - growing plants in the pots will allow the roots to be air pruned for stronger growth; there's no need for transplanting as the wool pot can be planted (as in the above image); the wool acts as a slug and snail deterrent (hopefully!); the wool will break down in 6-7 weeks to add nutrients to the soil. By watering the pots from underneath, the water is drawn towards the roots. 

It all makes a lot of sense but there's one drawback ... the wool pots have a one time use and although I hate the idea of overwhelming amounts of plastic being chucked away, if you've already got plastic pots, use them.  I take care of my sturdy plastic pots and have reused them for many years now.  So there's a financial argument against using wool pots but let's see how the seedlings fare as I won't have to disturb the roots when planting them out.


Has anyone reading this had success with peat free?  And what do you think about any alternatives to plastic pots?  I'd love to know what has worked for you!


Some more information (if you want 😉) ... links open in a new window

New Leaf's guide to mulching - here

Wool Pots - website here

RocketGro - website here

Dalefoot - website here

Melcourt SylvaGrow - website here

New Leaf - website here

Brontë Heritage - website here


3 comments:

  1. I found that helpful. I saw some quite cheap Melcourt compost at a Turkish supermarket near me and I think I might buy a bag or two now. I've been mixing used compost from last year's pots with sieved compost from my compost bin and some from a cheapish peat-free multipurpose, with added fish, blood and bone, just trying to judge the right mixture of ingredients, so that it will drain well, hold water well and resist over-compression. If I need a more open mixture, I add some perlite. It has worked pretty well in the multi-cells I use to raise most of my vegetables, though neither germination nor growth are quite as good as with the peat-based compost I used previously (which was top-rated by Which?). The only minor gripe is a very few weeds germinating, presumably from seeds not killed by composting, but they are easily removed at an early stage, so not really an issue. I mulch my beds with stable manure, which arrives at our allotment site several times a year, fresh from the Metropolitan Police Stables and which I compost for six months to a year before use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger. If you can get Melcourt compost cheaply, let me know and I'll come over! Sounds like you're doing all the right things, some good advice there.
      Also nothing wrong with using last year's compost - I always chuck my used tomato compost onto the beds as a mulch or, if growing tomatoes in a bed, I top up the bed with multi-purpose and feed. Perlite is excellent stuff, or vermiculite could be used to open up the compost for seedlings. Have you tried any of the charcoal products, eg BioChar? I haven't yet but there's a lot of chat about it so maybe worth a try. So envious of your manure delivery - allotments are good at getting those supplies in - also good for chipped bark which can be a good mulch if allowed to mature for a while.

      Delete
  2. Hi Caro,
    I've had two problems with peat-free compost. The first, as you hinted, is herbicides in them. The year before last my tomato plants were ruined by it. Not great when you're buying a supposedly organic compost! The other, I found, is that they contain fungus gnat eggs. Not sure at what stage they get in - during production, or in storage afterwards. I've made the mistake of using peat-free compost for indoor plants, only to find that a week or so after re-planting, the adult flies start emerging in swarms! I've had to go to dedicated indoor plant compost, which is far more expensive (I've no idea why!) It seems that the rotted down materials of peat-free compost are a magnate for these blighters, whereas I suspect there's nothing in peat for them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment, it helps to know that my scribblings are being read! If you have a question, I'll answer it here or contact me via the 'Contact Me' form at the top.

Comment moderation is on to avoid spam nonsense getting published. No offence to genuine commenters who are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...