8 Oct 2019

Goji Goji Go!

My plant of the week :) and why you should grow them ...

Small five petalled purple and cream flowers hang from an edible Goji berry shrub


This is another of my £2 supermarket 'twigs' - the Goji Berry, occasionally known as Wolfberry or Duke of Argyll's tea.  Residing in a middle sized pot and parked just inside the shade edge of the lime trees in the Car Park garden, it has (over several years) grown to be a single lengthy arching stem with two straggly branches, a few leaves and no fruit.  Pretty pointless, I'm sure you'd agree.

Last autumn however, it wheedled its way back - not so much into my affections as into whatever piques my interest.  It bore fruit.  Or rather, a fruit.  One tiny glowing red berry shining through the autumn gloom.  So, naturally, I was expecting greater things from the plant this year.



But nothing.  And, frankly, if I hadn't been too busy with other garden matters, the plant was destined for the compost.  Luckily that was another thing I never got round to.

At the weekend I noticed these tiny but rather beautiful purple flowers - wow, gorgeous! Goji plants are supposed to flower in the summer but as it's been in part shade and practically drowned in recent weeks (it likes a free draining soil), I'm prepared to overlook a little tardiness. If these flowers ripen into fruit, I doubt I'll eat them as the plant is part of the solanaceae plant family - ie, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos and ... deadly nightshade.  Caution is advised unless fully ripe.

These flowers have earned the plant a stay of execution; in fact, a repotting is now on the cards for next spring. In time, when it's grown to be about a metre high,  it will (allegedly) produce up to a kilo of super healthy fruit. To be honest, I've never eaten goji berries, fresh or dried - will it all be worth it, I wonder?

My first thoughts were to plant it into the edible border where it's roots could explore without constraint but it's reputed to sucker like nobody's business - not ideal. It can also grow to twice my height, given the right environment (which is just about anywhere). So it will have to remain as a container plant, although I'm going to gradually work up to a fairly decent sized large pot - apparently a half barrel is ideal.  (Might take a while.)

So the only mystery remaining is why the plant is also referred to as the Matrimony Vine.  Any guesses?




A few notes about the goji plant:

Botanical name - Lyceum barbarum (it has sharp barbed stems)
Ultimate height and width - can grow up to 10ft x 4ft wide, unless containerised
Aspect - tolerates light shade but fruits more prolifically in full sun
Soil - moist but free draining. Add grit to heavy clay before planting. Neutral pH.
Location - not fussy, will tolerate coastal salt laden winds
Taste - sweet/sour when fresh and ripe, like a cherry tomato; best flavour when dried and rehydrated.
Uses - related to the tomato, use in rice and pilaf dishes, salsas and sauces. Or eat like sweets!
Health benefits - a superfood that has (allegedly) been 'scientifically proven' to be good for eyes, skin, immune system, protects against cancer, alleviates depression and anxiety but weight loss and anti-aging properties are probably a myth!


3 comments:

  1. I think I’d be very cautious too. The flowers are pretty though. Our honey berries are getting the chop this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a small plant too, it's still in the pot and has done hardly anything except produce a long arching stem! Interesting to hear it can be poisonous!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an attractive flower Caro. Is it the plant evergreen? I hope that you solve the mystery behind the name.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment, it helps to know that my scribblings are being read! If you have a question, I'll answer it here or contact me via the 'Contact Me' form at the top.

Comment moderation is on to avoid spam nonsense getting published. No offence to genuine commenters who are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...