6 Jul 2013

End of Month: June

Garden view June
Veg and herbs to the left, fruit to the right, spuds and edible shrubs in the middle.

So much for posting twice in one day as promised in my last post!  I wasn't happy with the photos that I took on a gloomy 30th June so deciding which to use took longer; suddenly another week has gone by and we're basking in a heat wave!  I'm beginning to think my life is linked to some universal remote control. June certainly came and went on fast forward. The weather frequently rewinds back to early spring (and now forward to summer) and time spent on work (college or day job) shuttles between play and pause. It feels as though we waited such a long time for summer (or even spring) to arrive and suddenly we're past the summer equinox and sliding inexorably towards autumn.

I've had to resist the temptation to garden in the past few months due to other calls on my time. This has been no mean feat as I so love pottering around outside that if I go for a half-hour watering session, I'm likely to reappear several hours later.  I've treated myself to a couple of guilt-ridden gardening days which have, disappointingly, been spent weeding, collecting fox/cat poo or netting beds against pests - so the veg patch has largely had to look after itself, bar the occasional watering or transplanting of seedlings. (Gotta love those rainy days!)

Orach and fruit
Strawberries, Orach, fruit trees, sunflowers transplanted to the back.
There is, of course, no such thing as a hands off veg garden; whilst I have masses of orach, strawberries, sunflowers, herbs, broad beans and onions (and fruit) - and all appears quite lush - there are no beets, beans, carrots, peas. Quite a lot has been self-sown from last year or are perennials nurtured through the winter - as with French Tarragon - and then just watered.

I've planted out more flowers and herbs - eryngiums, scabious, geraniums - but the garden's not how I imagined it would look this year.

A few flowers
A few flowers - Echinacea, cowslip, scabious, phlox, purple sage... but the rhubarb may have to be moved!
My college year has now finished so I have an extra day to spend more time in the garden; hopefully it won't be too late to start some more veg off - I'm relying on the weather being about a month in arrears (but this weekend's sunshine may prove me wrong).

I've got a couple of months of an extra day of leisure before I start college again in mid-September; let's see if that will be enough to get the veg patch in shape.

Veg and fruit garden June



8 comments:

  1. It looks great and is a credit to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Sue! It IS hard though when the vision in my head doesn't match the reality - and I had hoped for a lot more flowers this year, preferably multiple towers of sweet peas!! but, no, not a one! Oops, haha!

      Delete
  2. It's shame that you've not been able to spend more time gardening however it's certainly all looking good. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I'd love to be able to spend more time gardening, Flighty but, for now, have to divide my time. Thank you. Cx

      Delete
  3. It all looks very organised to me, you have managed to do so much, with your course and job as well, you put me to shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Pauline! Your garden is so gorgeous that I'm sure you manage many happy hours there. I'm put to shame by a new gardening neighbour who is just amazing at what she achieves, despite being retired and having a touch of arthritis!

      Delete
  4. Your urban veg patch looks great! I bet it's really come on in this good weather! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna - some of it has come on too much in the hot weather; I'll be clearing some beds soon and planting more stuff - really hope this warm weather lasts as I'd love to see my sweet corn cobs maturing! Can't believe it's almost time to think about winter veg!!

      Delete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment, it helps to know that my scribblings are being read! If you have a question, I'll answer it here or contact me via the 'Contact Me' form at the top.

Comment moderation is on to avoid spam nonsense getting published. No offence to genuine commenters who are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...