15 Apr 2012

Review: Green Crafts for Children

~ Gratuitous photo of cowslip on balcony; just to brighten up the day! ~
Today started by looking at clear blue skies with a good stiff breeze. Rubbish for taking photos (the above was taken yesterday) but perfect for pottering around the patch and sowing peas and beans as long as I'm quick!  The veg patch only gets sun until midday and there was quite a chill in the wind yesterday so this is a day to be getting on with things.


First though, I have a(nother) book to review. Following on from my review of Garden Crafts for Children, Green Crafts for Childrenis another good start for beginner crafters and I mention it here only because a few of the skills can be taken outside.  I'm thinking about the Gardening with Children group on UK Veg Gardeners - there's a running theme of how to keep the children occupied for a short while so that adults can complete some of the more mundane, but essential, tasks in the allotment or garden. Most children won't need much prompting to rush off den building or exploring but there will, inevitably, come a time when they've had enough but the adult hasn't (if you're anything like me... ).

By taking a small bag of non-fussy crafts with you, everyone's happy for a bit longer and this craft book may offer a few suggestions. Interested? Then pop over to my other blog Veg Patch Kids for the full lowdown. (That blog has been rather neglected for a long while but, as I'm helping out at a local primary school gardening club from this Friday, it may well be seeing a bit more action.)

I rather like this project from the book ... !
P.S.  I was right about the wind - it's been very nippy today as well and the early sunshine was quickly covered by clouds.  Hope it warms up soon!

6 comments:

  1. It has been very nippy today, hail, wind, rain...ugh! I think we all forgot what typical 'April Showers' weather's really like!The book looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, It's nice to have a few crafts to hand for exactly the kind of indoor days that the current weather inflicts on us!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with the school gardening club, I wish there'd been something like that when my kids were at primary school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, it's the youngest children that are showing the most enthusiasm - the older ones haven't applied. Hopefully we'll be able to teach them a love for plants before they outgrow the interest!

      Delete
  3. The 2 books you have reviewed look very interesting, I think anything that can keep children interested while they are in the garden is to be recommended. Wish they had been around when mine were little!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books like these are good inspiration for people looking for ideas. When my son was little his imagination made the garden a really special playground - even if he wasn't interested in the plants, he enjoyed crafting outside!

      Delete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment, it helps to know that my scribblings are being read! If you have a question, I'll answer it here or contact me via the 'Contact Me' form at the top.

Comment moderation is on to avoid spam nonsense getting published. No offence to genuine commenters who are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...