28 Jun 2017

Almost Wordless Wednesday: Plot poppies


Yesterday I dashed up to the allotment. With the threat of rain from heavy grey clouds, I thought to tidy up the plants on my balcony but couldn't find my trowel. I've had a lot on my mind recently and have noticed a tendency to forget things or flit from one thing to another. To be honest, I do that even when I haven't got a lot on my mind. It's not good.

My trowel is a particularly beautiful copper one that I've had for years & love; I would be distraught to lose it so I racked my brains as to where I might have used it last.  I have a very good visual memory and could picture it in my hand as I weeded at the plot last weekend. I had to know if my vision was correct so a quick visit to the plot ensued as the first tiny drops of rain started.

It's such a magical place though (I must do a video one day) that, once there, time stood still & the rain stopped, briefly. I found my trowel, still buried in the soil where I'd been removing weeds from around the broad beans. I dug out a few more weeds, wandered a little, munching raspberries as I went, sat awhile on the bench and then slowly walked back along the paths to the gate.

These self sown poppies were battered by winds last week but more flowers had opened in the sunshine. The metre long strip of tissue paper thin flowers and seed heads lit up the path on an otherwise rather monochrome day, adding to the magic of the place.

I'll be keeping an eye on those seedheads & gathering a few to sprinkle around next year - 
which flowers are brightening your life at the moment?




15 comments:

  1. Just shows how much your gardening space means a lot to you and how it gives you joy :) glad you found the trowel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider myself very lucky to have two gardening spaces to enjoy, especially as I live in a second floor flat! The dream would be to have my own garden, just outside the kitchen door but I'll settle for what I've got as I'm a lot luckier than many other urban dwellers. Yes, phew, thank goodness the trowel was spotted before it got buried!!

      Delete
  2. I'm always losing things. I search everywhere for things and when I stop looking they turn up where I am sure that I have looked several times. I think that we have a poltergeist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that happens all the time to me at home as well! I sometimes stand there and say to no-one in particular (the poltergeist) "it's not funny, just put it back" and find the whatever soon after! In the garden, I'm easily distracted by so many things (and let's face it, weeding is dull work) which is why tools get left around. I nearly lost my secateurs in the compost heap the other day as they were under a pile of weeds!

      Delete
    2. I once found some lost secateurs and a glove when emptying a compost bin. The secateurs weren't too bad but the glove!!!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you. It is indeed magical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, Esther, you seem to be the Vice Chancellor of the University of Nairobi if the link is correct. I'm so pleased that you've enjoyed reading my blog.

      Delete
  4. I remember a lovely poppy at my plot when I first took it on and it was all overgrown. I find that time stands still when I go through the site gates. Turns out it's been speeding past all the time when I get back outside - but it's nice while it lasts. I'm always losing the hand tools while I'm working. And I consider myself fairly organised usually! I can put my hand on most things at home. It drives me nuts when the trowel disappears mid-plant. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I garden is full of assorted flowers and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post and lovely picture. I'm glad you found your trowel.
    In answer to your question it's the cornflowers at present. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to read that your special trowel was just where you left it Caro! A good excuse to return to your plot though which I'm sure will have given you a boost. I'm forever mislaying items at the allotment and have even returned home to find that I've left my phone there. Fabulous poppies. I'm enjoying poppies too at the moment - very dark burgundy ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caro, lovely poppies. I'm enjoying my roses, the rest of the garden is a bit of a mess if I'm honest. Don't know where the hours in each day go... Hope all ok with you. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so easy to lose time when gardening. I get easily distracted too and often leave a bed half weeded and drift on to something else. I often find secateurs in the compost bins along with trowels. That is a beautiful poppy.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.s.....hope what's on your mind lessens, and looking forward to a video one day.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading this a long time after you wrote it - but I too now have an urban veg patch because I have moved to Halifax and got one straight away - very lucky! It's got no veg on it yet and I've only just begun clearing it of tall grasses, plantain and ragwort . . . and masses of huge, orange, bread baskets (very strange) but I'm looking forward to it being properly ready for sowing things in the spring.
    Because I've moved away from the south coast, I've started a new blog rather than confuse people with the flora of Dorset and West Yorkshire being on the same site. This is its URL
    Loose and Leafy in Halifax
    https://looseandleafyinhalifax.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment, it helps to know that my scribblings are being read! If you have a question, I'll answer it here or contact me via the 'Contact Me' form at the top.

Comment moderation is on to avoid spam nonsense getting published. No offence to genuine commenters who are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...