17 Jan 2017

Pig Latin for gardeners

(Photo: Looking back on the glory years!) 


I'm fascinated how language constantly evolves and new words pop up. I discovered an amazing new-to-me word the other day - 'veganuary'. Heard of it?  I hadn't until I spotted the term in a vegetarian magazine. That should have given me the clue but of course I read it as VEG-anuary - what a brilliant word to start the food gardening year, I thought!  After reading the article, I realised the word was coined to adopt January as the month when people are challenged to try vegan (animal free) eating habits.




Ah well. Bubble burst. The upside to vegan-uary is that delicious healthy veg based recipes have been cropping up (pun intended) in a number of newspapers, supermarkets and magazines. This is a good thing as I need to refocus my diet on wholesome grub after christmas indulgences and, because I'm so enjoying the soups and salads that I've been eating in the past week, those meals are providing veg inspiration when choosing what to grow this year.  Always grow veg that will excite and inspire you to eat your produce.  So why not think in terms of veg-anuary!

Seed catalogues have been popping through my letterbox for a while now and plans for the growing year ahead are pretty much constantly in my thoughts.  The term veg-anuary perfectly suits my January pre-occupations and IMHO should be reclaimed for the month that veg growers choose their seeds.  It's now firmly taken root in my brain. (Second pun intended.)

Extending the concept, how about adulterating some more gardener's gibberish? I could veg-azzle and veg-ewel the garden this year with annuals and cut flowers among the veg. It will all be very veg-olly as I veg-uggle my time to tend my plants. And I'll be positively veg-oyful as I wander the plot in a veg-aunty fashion in the summer evenings. Too silly? Probably.

So back to the seed catalogues to hone my selection.  The list so far includes the basics - carrots, chard, beetroot, kale, broccoli, climbing beans, spring onions, salad leaves, tomatoes (pink ones are tempting me) peas and shallots; chillies and peppers in a mini-greenhouse. I have to work out how much I can fit in but I also rather fancy growing edamame (soya) beans, leeks, maybe some sweetcorn and more cape gooseberries this year. The jury's still out on courgettes but maybe just the one. And then there are the flowers ... I've seen a gorgeous old rose coloured Cosmos in the Chiltern Seeds catalogue and that's just for starters.  Ah, yes ... the start of a new gardening year; the love affair continues ...

- - - - - - - - - - - -

How's everyone else doing in their seed choices this year?  Keeping to the same-old or trying anything new? And who agrees that the word should be veg-anuary rather than vegan-uary!?


20 comments:

  1. Oh the seed catalogues, happy sigh. I can picture the summer in all its amazing abundance. I've tried not to go too crazy, but I do love to try a new variety or two. Just this morning I was wondering when the Seed Swap will be this year. I'll definitely try and get there and pick up some new things and hopefully some inspiration too. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While seed catalogues are so lovely to look at, don't you find the prices are getting higher?! I mainly use them for inspiration and then have to get very picky about what to choose! Seed swaps can be good but, locally, I've found too many offers of out of date or badly stored seeds which can give very disappointing germination. Fingers crossed that you'll get lucky though! Cx

      Delete
  2. Although we're not vegetarian we do like veggie meals. Our seed order is sent off and does include some new things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Sue. I hope you'll be writing about the new things you're growing this year!

      Delete
    2. I will - already started with poists on melons and black raspberries

      Delete
  3. Great post and VEGanuary is how I will choose to read it too. I have resolved to try some different potatoes but will decide when I see what the allotment shop is offering. Celeriac and striped beetroot are also on my seed list and new to me. Last year purple peas made a debut and were excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee, thanks, Sue! I usually buy a few spuds at the RHS early spring show but they've started charging members £5 entry. It goes to a good cause, of course, but does make any tubers I buy rather on the pricey side! I'm still deciding whether to go or not, especially as it's been moved to a mid-week spot which also means taking time out from work. Grrrr. I like the sound of purple peas, presumably just the shells though ;)

      Delete
  4. This post made me smile. I've got all my seeds, which are mostly my usual choices with just a few new items or varieties. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, how intriguing, Flighty - I hope you'll be writing about the new varieties you've chosen! Glad the post made you smile! Caro x

      Delete
  5. Veg-anuary definitely! And that might even extend into Veg-ruary too.
    I haven't had a chance to browse the catalogues yet but ideas are forming in my mind already. I'm replanning my veg plot after one of the raised beds collapsed.
    Pink tomatoes sound wonderful as do the cosmos. I tend to use 'reals seeds' as my go to supplier but equally happy to add others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be in with a chance of veg-anuary catching on among veg growers, woo hoo! Real Seeds are one of my hero seed suppliers, their seeds are very good and I love that they encourage growers to save seed from what they grow. ... they're offering pink tomatoes this year as well :) !

      Delete
  6. Oh, I totally agree with you! You have me laughing here.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to know that my writing raised a laugh or smile, Dina! Ooh, the ideas that pop into my head - I can be very silly at times! xx

      Delete
  7. I've made most of my choices for the upcoming year though I'm sure I will still be tempted when I read what other bloggers are trying. I have a few varieties that I always go for but like to try a few new ones too. Definitely needs to be Veg-anuary, I'm with you there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an absolute sucker for seed catalogue temptation so find that it helps to draw up a list of what I want before I open the pages! That's easy with veg but my main weakness is flowers - sooooo many glorious options! Glad you agree with veg-anuary!

      Delete
  8. I much prefer your version of the word! I have been to a Potato Day and bought some seeds from Seekay. It's the first time I have used them. I have just looked at Chiltern seeds-they do have a large choice. I wonder how many seeds can I get in the garden! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I ask myself when I look at all the seed choices that I've noted down! There are so many lovely things that I want to grow but we have to be realistic about time and space available, don't we! Chiltern Seeds are amazing for the huge selection that they offer and have some really unusual plants. Looking forward to reading what you end up with this year, Sarah! Cx

      Delete
  9. I bought a packet of broad bean seeds today, they are called Perla and are an early cropper with a gourmet flavour apparently. I will sow about 24 to a seed tray shortly and leave them outside to germinate and plant them out when they get to 10cm. I was at my local nursery buying 10 new autumn raspberry canes which I planted straightaway and my reward for going down to the allotment in the damp mizzle was the first picking of purple sprouting broccoli. I've never had a seed catalogue as I buy all my seeds from the nursery which is conveniently en route to the allotment, but maybe a browse through a catalogue or two will give me new ideas. Are there any you would particularly recommend Caro? BTW my mum was also a theatre sister and when she was in hospital used to get quite matronly (in a nice way) with the staff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Caro, I really enjoyed your post, you made me realise too, I haven't even started to make a plan for my veg beds yet, let alone buy anything new. I fall into that awful habit of growing tried and tested and really need to be more adventurous. I did grow Borlotti Beans last year but they take up a lot of space for the return. Are you a vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love vegetables. I love your post this will definitely help us. Me and my mom love gardening but I usually have blisters due to gardening.My friend recommended NoCry Puncture Resistant Gardening Gloves and it really work for me. Now I dont have to worry about cuts and blisters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment, it helps to know that my scribblings are being read! If you have a question, I'll answer it here or contact me via the 'Contact Me' form at the top.

Comment moderation is on to avoid spam nonsense getting published. No offence to genuine commenters who are very welcome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...